Tip # 2: 删除 “Of” (改写介词短语)
- The blood pressure of the mice was elevated.
- The elephant teetered along the edge of the cliff.
- The focus of this project was to study the effects of increased global temperatures on local fish hatcheries.
- The blood pressure of the mice was elevated. [8 words]
- The elephant teetered along the edge of the cliff. [9 words]
- The focus of this project was to study the effects of increased global temperatures on local fish hatcheries. [19 words]
- The mice’s blood pressure was elevated. [6 words]
- The elephant teetered along the cliff’s edge. [7 words]
- This project examined how increased global temperatures affect local fish hatcheries. [11 words]
- 改成所有格: 许多高度相关的情况下，例如两个名词之间的所有权，就可以删掉中间的介词。例如，句子中有「Noun1 of Noun 2」或「Location1 in Location2」，直接将第二个名词往前移并加上「’」 变成Noun1’s Noun2。
- The approval of the Food and Drug Administration was received yesterday. → The Food and Drug Administration’s approval was received yesterday.
- The studies were conducted at Max Laboratories in Chicago. → The studies were conducted at Chicago’s Max Laboratories.
- 改成主动语态:当被动语态的句子后面跟着「by」的时候 (Noun1 was/were + past participle + by + Noun2)，把by后面的名词改成句子主词写成主动语态。
- The approval of the plan was given by the committee. → The committee approved the plan yesterday.
- 替换副词形式: 某些介系词片语可以改的更为坚定，例如:由「with」开头的片语。
- The seller agreed with reluctance. → The seller reluctantly agreed.
- He spoke with hesitation when he accepted the deal. → He spoke hesitantly as he accepted the deal.
- By chance, I finished work on time. → Fortuitously, I finished work on time.
- 改成更精准的动词: 有些介系词片语可以用更有力、精准的动词替换掉。可多加注意动词使用「get」和「make」。
- He got to the finish line. → He reached the finish line.
- Increased benefits can make up for long working hours. → Increased benefits can offset long working hours.
- 避免动词名词形 (请参考缩减字数:避免动词名词形)
- In our current situation, we should decline the offer. → We should decline the offer.
- 尝试wh-子句:动词跟「说」(例:ask, say, admit, argue, reply, agree, mention, explain, suggest, etc.) 或「心理状态」像是thinking、studying和deciding (例: know, understand, suppose, remember, forget, wonder, study, examine, decide, etc.)有关的，建议大胆尝试wh-子句来写出有力简洁的句子。
- The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of solar radiation on bioluminescence. → This study examined how solar radiation affects bioluminescence.
- Our mission was to conduct an investigation into the relationship between sunlight and plant growth. → We investigated how sunlight affects plant growth.
- The house of my mother sat on a big hill.
- The licensing of the software will be completed next week.
- The variables changed with little difference.
- The aim of our research was to assess the correlation between variable A and DNA replication rates.
- This paper was written to explore the way in which extra recess time and the test performance of students are related.
- To get back to you, we are looking back on what was done to figure out what we can do moving forward. [This one’s hard. How short can you make this one?
- My mother’s house sat on a big hill.
- The software licensing will be completed next week.
- The variables hardly changed.
- Our research aimed to assess how variable A affects DNA replication rates.
- This paper explores how extra recess time affects students’ test performance.
- We are examining the past to determine how we should proceed.